Wednesday, November 18, 2009

In the Morning of the Magicians - The Flaming Lips

It's Flaming Lips week over at Music Togetherness and I have a new appreciation for a song I've liked since I first was introduced to "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots."

On our way to Cincinnati last weekend, David and I had a long conversation about this album and concept albums in general, and I saw this song in a whole new light that made me like it a whole lot more. As the setting for the wake of our heroine, Yoshimi, who has failed in her quest to defeat pink robots who are trying to take over the world, I love the calm feeling that saturates the track, along with lead singer Wayne Coyne's unique voice and beautiful instrumentals.

I also love the lyrics - "The universe will have it's way, too powerful to master - oh, what is love and what is hate - and why does it matter - is it all just a waste - how can it matter?" That's some heavy stuff right there, but totally relevant in almost any time, and it gives you as the listener, something more than the beautiful melody to really think about. It kind of makes me think about the war going on right now and whether the U.S. is in it for the right reasons. Isn't it really because our two nations are different? Is this really going to solve anything, or is it going to have the same turnout no matter what, because that's what the universe demands?

No comments:

Post a Comment