Thursday, September 24, 2009

1. Jason Derulo - Whatcha Say (2009)

I heard this song in my car the other day, and it's not very often I hear hip hop or rap that I can't wait to hear again...

Something about the chorus sounded comforting, familiar, yet haunting. I couldn't get enough. So I told David about it and he pointed out that the sample is taken from an Imogen Heap song called "Hide and Seek." Not only is that song great as well, but it was used in the episode of "The O.C." when Marissa shoots Trey. No wonder it was familiar! For those who don't know, David and I went through an O.C. thing very recently.

I like both quite a bit, mostly because of the sample they share, and I like that this song speeds the sample up a bit.

It's interesting that the auto tuner has become such a staple in pop music when Imogen Heap has been doing it for years. Turns out I prefer the effect it has on a woman's voice to a man's.


No comments:

Post a Comment